Tuesday 26 October 2010

Too long too much

Wow, I think simply wow is the best way to describe what's going on at the moment.

Ok first things first.

I haven't updated my blog for a while, but i think i have good reason. That thing called life, has just been so hectic! The big thing right now is deffinatley the Blast. Basically, a while back i applied for a 3 week work experience placement with the BBC. A month or so ago they got in touch and told me i had been short listed, which i was happy enough with. However after going down for an interview they called me back and said i'd got it. So the 11th of October rolls around and i get ready for my first day, and my last day of free time.

So the BBC Blast:
3 weeks:
- 1 week of school assemblies promoting it.
- 1 week of 'taster days' around various schools and college onboard what has been dubbed the 'BAT' van.
- 1 week to finish up, host the actual 3 day event in Middlesbrough town center and a final showcase of work to be put together by myself and the other 3 work experience guys.

So there's the BBC Blast work experience program flattened out. Now let me try to put this into perspective. First day, get to know each other, do some training and some flyering, fair enough easy stuff. Second day, myself and 1 other work experience sent to host an assembly to around 200 kids. Wow.
Now i should be clear, when i say wow, its wow in the best possible sense. This is wow, someone is letting me do this. This is wow, when do i ever get the chance to do these things. This is wow, i hope this could be the start of something.

Ok so week 1, check. Week 2, check. Week 3 starting now. But after a day of advertising the event yesterday it's not the BBC Blast thats giving me a wow moment right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTkoPURQWUs

^ That. That right there is what has given me quite a bizzare day. After that little piece won the 18+ age category of the Brake! road safety competition (of which it way inital made for), it was later passed on to a member of the Redcar & Cleveland police, who thought it would be ideal for their one of their road shows and to use to help demonstrate to kids the dangers of mobile phone use while driving. Now a member of the police passed it onto someone at the BBC Tees radio, who would like to interview me on air. Wow, i don't know why anyone would like to listen to me ramble about a film incoherently, but i'll take it.

So todays agenda:
- Photo taken for a few newspapers
- Film to be shown as part of the roadshow
- Talk about the film on a local radio station

To me, that's insane. I'll admit i'm having a little trouble getting my head around why anyone would be interested in what i always consider to be 'that daft little film i flung together'. Yeah, a fair bit of work went into it but i always think when you look at the bigger picture, people are exposed to such high quality film making on a constant basis now that i do find it hard to figure out how and why people seem to be so accepting of low end film making. I'm not saying its a bad thing, quite the contrary, i think its fantastic that people dont need a high end gloss to enjoy a film. I guess i'm just doubting my work simply because its that, my work.

Well maybe i'll come to accept my own films a bit more later down the line, but for now i'll remain confused and just accept those 'wow moments' with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment